For those who want to know where your loved one served during the Vietnam War, the information below will help you in your search.
- Which branch of the Armed Forces did they serve in: Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines
- The assigned unit.
- The dates of their Tour of Duty. The Vietnam War occurred from 1 Nov 1955-30 April 1975. U.S. military advisors were on the ground beginning in 1950 with the first combat troops arriving around 1965.
Example: My dad served in the U.S. Army Infantry: 1st Battalion, 8th Cavalry Regiment, Bravo Company, 1st Air Cavalry Division from June 1967-June 1968.
Where to Look:
- From there you can then perform an online search for their unit as many have their own websites. For example, my dad served with the 1/8th Cav in Vietnam and by searching Google with the phrase: 1/8th Cav in Vietnam, the top search result is a link to the Jumping Mustangs website.
- Or you can perform a search for a Vietnam War timeline of battles and the units that fought in them.
- If you have no idea when or where they served or in what capacity you may (as a family member) request a veteran’s records through the National Archives Request Military Service Records. Just fill out what you can on the form.